Tender chickpea pasta and seasoned juicy chicken tossed in a beautiful homemade pesto sauce! This pesto sauce is so creamy and absolutely rich in it’s flavor. The best thing about this dish is that you’re not left feeling bloated! If you’re into pesto, this one is totally for you! It’s so delicious!
PREP: 10 M // COOK: 25 M // SERVINGS: 2-3
- 2 thick chicken breasts
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- 1 cup organic low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 oz fresh basil
- 2 oz chickpea penne pasta, I used Banza
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 1.5 tbsp corn starch
- If you don’t want a heavy pesto taste, then use a little more than a half ounce of basil.
- The reason I say thick chicken breasts and then to slice them in half is because the store sells either really thin chicken breasts or really thick. Too thin would cause dryness! So I like to buy the thick breasts and slice them in half down the side.
- Slice the thick chicken breasts in half to make four thinner breasts. Season generously with salt, black pepper, oregano, and garlic powder on both sides.
- Heat 2 tsp olive oil on a large saucepan on medium-high heat, then cook the chicken on one side until golden. Flip and cook on the other side until done, then set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the basil, 1 tsp olive oil, salt, black pepper, 1/4 cup water, and 1 tsp minced garlic.
- Rinse out the saucepan you cooked the chicken in and wipe clean, then pour in the chicken broth and heavy cream over medium heat. Pour in the pesto and whisk it into the cream. Add a little salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Allow it to slightly boil for a few minutes.
- In a small cup, add 1/4 cup warm water and mix in the corn starch really well. Then, pour the corn starch water into the pan as you whisk it. Continue whisking until the sauce thickens (about a minute). Then, lower the heat to a simmer.
- At this point, taste the sauce and adjust any seasonings. Cook your chickpea pasta according to instructions (don’t forget to add salt). Dice the seasoned chicken, then mix into the pesto sauce and allow it to cook with it for about five minutes or so on very low heat.
- When the chickpea pasta is done, drain and toss into the pesto pan and gently fold into the sauce. Allow it to cook together for a few more minutes, then enjoy!