SPICY SOUTHWEST BOWL.
If you like spicy food, this one’s for you! A protein-packed bowl with spicy chicken, black beans, corn, bell pepper, jalapeño, onion, and tomato! Topped with lime, you have yourself a 30-minute meal that is both delicious and healthy for any lifestyle!
Prep: 10 m • Cook: 20 m • Level: Easy • Servings: 2
SOUTHWEST EGG ROLLS.
After making Southwest Egg Rolls last week, I had the idea of making only the filling with a few tweaks as a meal to make it healthy for my current 18 Day Cleanse because it was just so delicious! It’s a very quick meal and really fulfilling, packed with protein and nutrients!
CILANTRO LIME RICE
Since this Spicy Southwest Bowl is similar to a chipotle bowl but spicier, you could simply make cilantro lime rice on the side to go with it! I actually have a recipe for Homemade Chipotle Bowls you could check out. And if you’re not looking to make this as a healthy meal, sprinkle some cheddar or Mexican cheese on it with a dollop of sour cream!
WHAT YOU NEED.
- 2 - 3 thin-cut chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup unsalted corn
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 stalk green onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 jalapeño, diced
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 lime
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Chili powder
- After washing and patting dry the chicken, spice with a generous amount of salt, black pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika, and chili powder on both sides. Drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil over chicken and rub in.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 6 minutes on one side, then flip to cook until done on the other. Then, set aside.
- In the same pan, heat another tbsp olive oil and toss in all the vegetables at once: garlic, onion, corn, green onion, red bell pepper, jalapeño, black beans, and tomato. Spice with salt and black pepper and a little bit of cumin, cayenne, paprika, and chili powder. Sauté for about 8 minutes, or until soft.
- Dice the chicken and toss back into the pan with the veggies. Cook together for a few minutes, squeeze half a lime over it all, and you’re all done! You can also add a sprinkle of cheddar or Mexican cheese if you’d like! 😋